Between 1916 and 1919 Brightlingsea accommodated over 5,000 Anzacs. In summer they camped, trained and entertained on the Bayard Recreation Ground in Regent Road and in winter they lived in the town with Brightlingsea families.
September 1917 – Other Ranks’ tents being dismantled at the time of an air raid. In the background are Officers’ Tents, a flagpole, a grandstand and Regent Road. (Taken by Anzac R. Sanders, donated to the Museum)
Map of the AETD summer camp at the Recreation Ground (Courtesy of J.P. Foynes)
Where had some of the Australians come from? (Map courtesy of J.P. Foynes)