A small Anzac clearing party headed by Captain Geoffrey Payne of 10th Field Company Engineers remained in Brightlingsea after the war. As the last of the Anzacs to leave, Brightlingsea’s Deputy of the Cinque Ports, Dr Dickin, presented Captain Payne with an engraved silver commemorative bowl as a token of thanks and appreciation of the friendships formed. If requested in advance the bowl can be seen in the Australian War Memorial Museum, Canberra. A photo of Captain Payne can be seen on the ‘Anzac Faces’ page. (Photo of bowl courtesy of the AWMM)
Illuminated Address dated 29 January 1919, illustrated by Sapper Fred Bolton of the Australian Imperial Force and signed by Anzacs S.C.R.Bowen, J.A.J. Braund, W.A. Robinson, E.V. Way and E.M. Worthington in praise of Mr and Mrs Norfolk of No.9 Victoria Place and their ‘Champion Billet’. Formerly The Ship Inn, No.9 Victoria Place is now the site of Osborn’s Court.
(Courtesy of Brightlingsea Museum)
From Brightlingsea News 1918 (Courtesy of P. Fisher)